Maintenance of Running Spikes
Here are few tips for proper maintenance of running spikes:
- Don’t put your running spikes in the washing machine and tumble drier.
- To increase the support of heel of your shoes always untie and loosen your laces before removing your shoes.
- Steps to clean your running spikes:
- Clean them by hand in warm soapy water.
- Gently use a brush or toothbrush on them to clean the spike plate.
- To dry them, stuff newspaper inside and leave them under a radiator or another semi-warm spot.
- Avoid placing them on top of the radiator or in any direct heat.
- After using your spikes on grass tracks or cross country, try to remove the excess mud and grass caught on the spikes straight away before putting them in your bag.
- Remove the spikes regularly – even if you’re not changing lengths.
- Use Vaseline on the spike threads if you notice any of the spikes feel a bit stiff to screw in.
- For cross country, use the right length of spike for the course
- Do not completely immerse the shoes in water for cleaning the shoes.